Lift & Shift Cloud Migration Planning & Benefits
Cloud is the next generation space for data processing growing from strength to strength with benefits like better data management, security, lower costs, uninterrupted connections, and more.
The applications created before the cloud could not be refactored or re-platformed to perform effectively in cloud environments but were able to perform when hosted in the cloud (left as it is, in a cloud environment). This was not entirely “cloud-native”. This is where lift-and-shift became a choice.
Lift and shift is the migration process that moves legacy applications as-it-is from on-prem or local data centers to cloud infrastructure with least or no modification, and without changing application code.
Before undertaking the lift and shift (rehosting) for application modernization or data centers, carefully assessing and testing for the compatibility of the destination cloud is critical.
Let’s check important considerations in the catalog of lift and shift for successful migration.
Steps of Lift and Shift Assessment & Planning
Before implementing Lift & Shift, every organization has different considerations and so they must take into account these factors and define checklists to leverage the benefit:
- Right Time for Application Migration to Cloud: A lift and shift strategy is adopted when it’s necessary to close the data center. However, some factors like expenditures, agility, flexibility, expansion & contraction capacity, etc. So choose the right time to migrate depending on the availability of human and capital resources.
- Type of Application to be Migrated: Not all applications need migration, some applications need complete refactoring. Also, the one which provides business benefits must only be rehosted, hence the application for which benefits outweigh burdens must be chosen for migration.
- Application Lifespan: Considering how long your application workload will run on cloud or how longer you will use the application is an important factor before it’s migration. In case the application has to retire before 12 months, then there is no use of migration. Hence, expected life of application & data should be considered.
- Compliance Requirements: As cloud estate expands, they need better governance controls to maintain visibility. With this, more workloads or applications with compliance mandates will enter the cloud environment.
- Automation Tools Provided by Cloud Provider: Organizations look for ways that streamline IT operations and application delivery due to modern workloads. Many cloud providers provide automation tools to organizations to help them automate the process of resource deployment and configuration. Examining those tools will determine the capability of your specific situation.
A successful lift & shift (rehosting) needs the planning of checklists. Identifying key milestones, test processes, and avoiding potential pitfalls will set your migration up for success.
To know more about lift & shift planning, click here!.
Multi-level Assessment is Required Before Migration & Modernization
Most migrations happen when organizations ensure minimum risk and speed up time of production, which is more suitable in case of lift and shift. It is easier to modernize applications in this migration process, and companies can leverage cloud services and optimization easily.
These observations can also be a great learning experience for application modernization initiatives.
Techment technology has provided migration solutions to organizations and is still counting. Our team of expert engineers can deliver the cloud solution that your organization requires. To get more information, get our expert consultation.